2. As the money manager of Boston Bank you have $1,000,000 available for six months. You have the opportunity to lend the fund in U.S. or lend the fund to prospective customers in Montreal or Landon.
Use the following information to answer this problem: (45Points)
– Present spot rate: $1.7120/£
– Six month forward rate: $1.6726/£
– Interest rate in U.S. is 8.00% annual
– Interest rate in U.K. is 10.5%
– Interest rate in Canada is 9.5%
a. Are interest rates and forward rates in equilibrium? Why or why not? Show your work.
b. Where should you invest for maximum yield?
c. What forward rate would create an equilibrium situation associated with investing in U.S. or Canada?
d. Would your decision about where to invest change if the U.K. interest rate was 15%?
e. If there is an arbitrage opportunity, for a transaction size of U.S. $1,000,000, (or £1,000,000) that you can borrow, how can you take advantage of the situation without taking undue risks? Show your work and profit or losses.